How to grow your client list without having to sell all the time. Part two

With this article we will carry on from where we’ve stopped last time. Have you had the opportunity to implement some or all of the steps discussed in the previous article? If this is new to you, remember that implementing anything new takes time and some discomfort. It is because you’re doing something that you’re not used to.

Remember the ten times rule when you implement something new. You have to do it at least ten times before you can say yes it works, or no it doesn’t work. You will also not do it exactly the same way over the first couple of times, because you still have to find a way of doing, that work for you. Without further ado, let’s continue with step 5.

Step 5: Defuse feelings of anticipated regret.

“I know I’ll regret it if I do it …” You need to take your client to a future point in time after she has instituted your solution. Show her for a brief moment it is possible that she could regret it. But then paint the more likely scenario that your solution will give her what she wants.

Step 6: Framing your proposal.

The chance of being permanently blind after eye surgery one is 20%. The chance of full recovery of sight after eye surgery two is 80%. Which surgery do you want to have? Of course surgery two — except they are the same. Think carefully of how you want to frame your proposal.

To be frank, the way you frame your proposal is more important than the proposal itself. It is very common for therapists to exaggerate negative points to their solution in name of transparency. If you do this, you need to apply the same scale of exaggeration on the benefits of your solution. Else you still do not enable your client to make an informed decision.

Step 7: Propose.

Propose a solution that will lead to the desired outcome. But first, offer an alternative choice that is inferior for some almost obvious reason. Then offer your option and move forward with certainty that the person has accepted it.

When you propose a solution to your client, you make it absolute clear how the solution is applicable to her and her unique situation. You don’t just refer or tell of it in a way that makes it existence known. You tell your client how it will solve her problem.

Very often we find that therapists will do a lot of work to introduce a solution to their clients. But they will never actually propose it to their clients out of fear to be rejected. It is important that you learn the distinction between being rejected as a person, and proposing a solution that is not accepted.

The first is about you as a person. If someone rejects you as a person, she will not become your client to start with. It is extremely rare that you will be rejected as a person.

The second is about the solution you offer to your client. My grandmother used to say “another man’s book is always close”. This means that you will never know every detail in another person’s life, even if you think you do. It is completely possible for a client to reject your solution for a reason she doesn’t want you to know. This doesn’t mean she rejects you as a person or will not accept another solution you may propose for a different problem at another point in time.

Step 8: Solve obstacles that exist. In advanced.

Most of this should be eliminated in step 4 and 5. Professional service providers know their trade and their clients and will know beforehand most of the questions a client may ask. Pre-answer every possible question you can think of before your client thinks about it.

Pre-solve all possible obstacles. But do not solve them too quickly, or you make the client look foolish or stupid. Nobody likes it to look foolish or stupid.

Step 9: Keep on repeating your offer until the answer is yes.

On average, you will have to make your offer seven times before your client says yes. Keep in mind that accepting a solution is a process your client has to go through.

It starts about learning of the solution; to understanding it; to growing use to the idea that it may work for some people; to accepting that it may work for her; to believing that it will work for her; to finally taking the step to implement it.

For some this process may be quick and for other it may be slow.

Step 10: Validate later.

Know that after your client has said yes, she will experience regret. You must validate your client’s decision. Not immediately after she accepted your solution, but the next day and the next time you see her after that.

How do you validate your client’s decision? You congratulate her on having the treatment or buying the product and then remind her of the benefits that will follow.

Understanding how to convey a solution effectively to a client, and doing it, will allow for you to create a positive change in more people’s lives. This will inevitably lead to a more fulfilling career and all the other benefits that come of having a fulfilling career.

Posts created 69

Related Posts

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.

Back To Top